The Right Investment

I have a riddle for you…

 People worry about me; get twisted up in knots over me; stay awake at night thinking about me; wish they had more of me; never have enough of me; trade away their integrity to get me; stew, scheme and steal to get me; envy those who have more of me than they do; seldom just give me away; trade me for the strangest things; and then, just leave me behind when they die.  Who am I? MONEY. 

“But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing unto this

 world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.” (I Timothy 6:6-7)

Our attitude about money says volumes about us.  It must not rule our lives.  Paul says, “ godliness with contentment is great gain”.  How many contented people do you know? I would venture to guess very few.  We live in a very materialistic culture which pressures us to pursue more stuff, but money never satisfies.  No matter how much of it we attain, we always want more of it.  If we give our lives to it, we will come up empty.

There is an interesting verse in Hebrews chapter 13. It’s verse 5 where we find the comfort of Jesus’ words, “I will never leave you nor forsake you”.  We’ve all this heard many times, but the first part of the verse says, “Let your conversation (your life) be without covetousness (the love of money) and be content with such things as ye have.”

It’s not a sin to have money, as long as money does not have you.  May God help us to invest some of the money we have into the Kingdom of God, into our local church, where God can use it to reach people.  Then, be content and be happy with what’s left. 


The Pastor’s Pocket

Pastor Bruce Freeman

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Ready?

Shopping Season

Trusting God